Thursday, October 15, 2009

Yum, yum!

Will Goolsby's Sunflower Seeds


Tana Tidd's Chex Mix


Sam Chumley's Saltines


Lori Richie's Nutter Butter


Kirsten Goodman's European Waffers


Grace Stetenbenz's Animal Crackers

The midterm drawing projects of food magnification have arrived on the table and there are several tasty images. This was, of course, a big project and took considerable time and effort, lots of looking and lots of mark-making, but I think it's a project that always indicates a considerable level of development in the working process of beginning drawing students. If for nothing else but to recognize that the effort will expand skills significantly, skills in drawing and skills in seeing and recognizing the subtleties of our world.  Commitment to be the best you can be in any project, in any studio class, is always the ultimate goal, and there were many fine examples of that in this group of images. I have included a few with this post that were at a stage of finishedness (is that a word?). I'll look forward to seeing how they all get finished and resolved by next Thursday.

7 comments:

  1. They are looking good. I especially like Will's sunflower seeds. They show a lot of depth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My facebook friends are loving them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, goody, someone is out there and stopping by to see what we're up to and commenting. Thanks, Susan and Kirsten, for being those someones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to check in every couple of days to see what you up to. Some good work I see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed doing this project. After the comments in class, I was able to (atleast I feel) greatly improve my work. I also, enjoyed seeing everyone else's work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that Will's has a lot of detail. But, I'm also quite impressed with Kirsten's piece. The writing is very hard to duplicate and I think she did a great job. I also think the negative space in Tana's Chex Mix makes it pop off the page. They seem to have shape.

    I loved this project. I felt a bit like I started to come into my own when we did this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing all the different approaches in comparison. Lori has a nice energetic line exploring all the forms. Will's seeds have a great sense of light and value range. Kirsten and Tana paid very nice attention to details, while Grace and Sam did a terrific job in capturing those subtle textures. All around nice approaches to solving this drawing problem. It's nice to see obvious time and effort spent. The drawings really show it. Great job all.

    ReplyDelete