Thursday, March 11, 2010

Project # 3 Alternative Self-Portrait

Tonight we'll discuss our next out of class project. This project will be unique in that no two drawings will be alike, such as the food or the perspective. We'll be exploring alternative self-portraits, not to be confused with a self-portrait that involves a likeness of your physical appearance. This will involve creating a drawing of the things in your life that address something about who you are, your likes, dislikes, passions, fetishes. It may involve memorabilia or things that you've collected over the years.

Tana Tidd is very much involved with horses, and is particularly passionate about riding. She did this drawing of the "tackle" hanging on the side of a barn.

Jessica Hagedorn was a student athlete in high school and created this drawing of some of the memorabilia from those experiences.

This response was by Gilbert Garcilazo, who was very much involved with on-line gaming. He brought into class the things that he used in that activity and we shot photos, such as the one below. I though he did a very good job with the project, and especially seeing the subtle refections in the computer screen.


So you see from the above examples, there are many ways to visually express something about who we are without saying what we look like (we'll be getting into that soon enough). Alternative self-portraits can be both fun and challenging at the same time, especially when you think about the parts of your life that can be expressed through images. Our critique will be 19 days from today, plenty of time to say, "this is me."



3 comments:

  1. Duh, I was trying to find the suggestion of a
    face in the compositions. Like a horse shoe
    nose or smiling mouth. I am a little to literal
    I guess. Ha!
    This should prove to be a fun and interesting
    assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice rendering, Gilbert.

    I'm the same way, Jennifer. I found the only thing that helps me is writing in my sketchbook. It doesn't have to be a complete journal or diary, and sometimes I even go back jot down thoughts on previous sketches. When I get one of these assignments now, I try to think of the most unexpected way possible the problem. Sometimes it still turns out crap, but it's a start for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the most unexpected way possible TO SOLVE the problem. ...I got in a hurry to post that one.

    ReplyDelete