Friday, May 28, 2010

Series of Interest



This is an installation view of a series of charcoal drawings by a drawing student named Anna Claire Shapiro. I don't know where she is a student, but I thought her series was pretty impressive. She began the series with drawings of coral on 18" x 24" paper. Her goal was to do 50 quick drawings from observation in order to get to know the coral and its visual potential. She engaged in a process of toning, erasing, toning, erasing, pulling form forward and pushing it back. The installation if made up of several finished drawings 22" x 30" and up to 40" x 60" that were not part of the 50 sketches. Of course this is a very ambitious project and one that is the result of a full 16 week semester, but take a look at how it evolved.


This is one of the more finished drawing included in the installation. Each drawing has it's own strength and stands on it's own. The installation was an after thought, and not part of her original intention. Be open to those possibilities.



This is another of the finished series and you can see how she took the forms and responded to the lights and darks to create these surreal and abstract images.


This drawing also grew out of the 50 quick sketches and remains more closely connected to both the coral and the abstraction of the coral.


This is one of the original 50 sketches when Shapiro was "learning" about her subject. You can see how the finished pieces above grew out of these sketches.


This is the first of the 50 sketches, now look back at the installation to see how it grew into something much stronger and much more engaging. Shapiro left open the possibilities for the unexpected. This is a good example of the artist "listening" to the drawings, letting one drawing lead to the next, a sort of "let me start here and see where it takes me." Scroll back up the page so you can see the development.

The forms modeled with strong lights and darks and the skilled creation of space show a strong grounding in basic drawing methods, but Shapiro also pushed much further toward a personal statement. They are not just drawings of coral. She built an imaginative world where the coral forms became a metaphor for skeletons and suggestions of images appear in the abstraction.

It'll be interesting to see where we are on Tuesday and hear about the potentials that are evolving your series.

Happy Memorial Day.

10 comments:

  1. These are really interesting. I am working on my project this week end and feel that I am making very slow progress. I guess I am trying to make it harder that it really is. Imagine that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that Georgia OKeeffee morning glories is really cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having so much fun with this series that I have an idea for a 2nd series this summer. After this class is over I'll be off for 8 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so exciting, Connie! I cannot wait to see some of your current series today!

    And Brian - this work is really intriguing. I love the abstract quality of these drawings and it's interesting to see where it began in the sketchbook. I'm trying to focus more on my sketchbook this semester than I have in the past...it's good to see examples of this process!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Aberlyn. I posted pictures of the direction I'm thinking of taking with a second series this summer on Facebook since I know most of us are there. When this class wraps up I want to be ready to start something independently. This is my summer of art. :)

    Seriously, I feel a bit of a crunch. I feel far behind many in the fine arts program at IUS because I haven't done this for years and I'm at turning points. This fall I should be coming up on my 200 level review. By that point or shortly thereafter I'll have to decide if I believe I'm BFA material for IUS. I wouldn't want to bring the program a step backward and I don't know if I'm far enough along artistically be bring it forward a step. Thus, I'll be reaching the decision point on if I should even apply for the BFA.

    Up to this point it's been fun learning all the processes involved in art. And although I'll always enjoy the experimental part of art I need to apply consistancy to my art. At this point, not knowing what the rest of you have gone through, I'll have to decide if I'm strong enough to bring value to the art community or if I should just pursue a dual concentration and take my education for what it's worth.

    Mind you, considering I'm 51 and coming back and pursuing a dream of a degree I won't be disheartened with that. But, I don't want to sell myself short if I can take the degree further as well. I'll have accomplished a dream in and of itself with just a BA.

    In any event, I'm coming up on a cross road in my life and I want to be prepared for the best decision. So, this summer is for fun with art, but, also to produce the most intense art I'm capable of.

    Any push with that from anyone here is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Connie, art is about discipline. All Brian or anyone else can do is teach fundamentals and guide you through the process. No matter what media you specialize in, digital, paint, textile, or graphite, it's all about practice. You have to love it to make a career of it. I mean you have to want to draw and paint or create all day long. Still there are lots of artists who do not make a living at art. A degree in art means nothing. A portfolio of art does. A body of work means more. There is no magic BFA goal to achieve. College is just a more academic and structured way toward, hopefully, more contemporary work. What you should be gaining from the classroom is critique from students and faculty. Almost everyone has been in the place you are now. They can help you through the process much easier than doing it on your own. But, in the end it all depends on your commitment. You should be here realizing your strengths and weaknesses. Practice what you need to practice. If my weakness biggest weakness was drawing hands, for example, I might fill a sketchbook with hands. I might research contemporaries, Debra Lott for example right here in Louisville. Get an idea of exactly what goal I need to achieve. There are going to be frustrating times and brilliant times. Sometimes it all comes together and sometimes you just keep chugging along until it does. You can't compare yourself to anyone else. Who was the better artist Michelangelo or Da Vinci? Does it matter? Are you here for a degree, career, therapy, life goal? You have to decide. I will probably go on to teach art or stay in web design. I probably will not find a career in drawing, but it is at the core of my art and portfolio. The more I draw, the better I get at painting and all other disciplines. I struggle with contemporary. I am here in the BFA to make better art. At this point, I can only get better at drawing through practice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of you were considering text in drawings. I for one do not care much for my own handwriting in a drawing or painting. But I have used transfer methods on occasion. Here is my favorite method. It does take some experimenting. If anyone is interested we could try the method after class one day. Laser or photocopy plus gel medium. Never had much luck with inkjet transfers. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The BFA thing is more a personal bar for me to cross Shawn. Does that make sense? If I don't think I've been able to achieve the level I think I see in the program without lessing it I won't even apply. It's a personal best issue for me. Then of course is the being accepted part. LOL But, at this stage I'm not even sure if I'll apply. But it's a level of something that I see that I'm striving for and don't know if I'll reach. I'm doing my best, but is my best as good as what I see in it so far. That I'm not quite sure of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shawn, the information you posted about transfers is so helpful! While I'm not sure if I'll incorporate this element in my series, I'd love to try out this method with you sometime after class...I plan to do another project this summer using this technique and it'd be great to practice alongside someone who knows what they're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The BFA degree is a 'professional' degree, designed for those who are intending on a professional career in the visual arts. Generally speaking, the BFA degree prepares one for continued education in the visual arts, such as pursuing the MA or MFA. Some design shops prefer their designers to have a BFA is graphic design. Those who continue on to the MFA often do so in order to teach at the university level. A BFA in the traditional areas, such as drawing and painting, should be followed up with an MFA as an undergraduate degree in the traditional media will not prepare you as well for meeting professional expectations. So, those of you who are current BFA candidates, or who intend to apply for the BFA program, should look seriously at continuing your educations at the Masters level.

    ReplyDelete