Monday, May 11, 2009

Summer Session I: Drawing

Tomorrow, May 12, is the beginning of the first summer session of classes.  Drawing meets from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m., in KV 127.  It's a full class, mostly 200 level, but a few 300 and a few 400.  It will be a challenging series of 18 classes spanning 42 days, unlike a regular semester that has about 30 classes spanning about 105 days.  Obviously, the incubation period to synthesize processes and ideas is considerably shorter, and therein lies the challenge.  We will be doing a lot of drawing, a lot of looking, and weather permitting, a lot of traveling.  Spending time at Cave Hill Cemetery is always inspiring, as is the Falls of the Ohio provided it's not under water.  It is the flood season after all. A lot of the previously beautiful landscapes on our campus have now been replaced with Lodges, but that may allow some refreshing of our perspective eye.  Other off-campus sites could also be considered, such as the Zoo, and we can toss around some other ideas.

I'll see you in the morning with a pot of coffee brewing and a lot of things to discuss.  See you then. 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun but fast Summer Drawing class Brian. If you don't mind I'll set in via the Blogg to see the new great drawings! It will encourage me to practice drawing this Summer and work in my sketchbook.Have fun and work hard new classes and make sure you do your blogging! Right Brian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, the oil based crayons I told you about arrived today. I'll bring them in for Thursdays class and see if the project you have planned will work for us to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, I follow Alex Kennedy's blog because I like his work. This is something I saw on there and thought it might have been done by him in a similar assignment to what we have, so, I'm tossing it out there for reference.

    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YPSRUGYxY9I/SZ7zB9YlmyI/AAAAAAAAAN4/Nvv0b0RuLBw/s1600-h/96.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex's multi-paneled soldier image is an intaglio print (etching) that he printed four different ways and then combined the prints into one piece. No, it's not similar to what you are doing this session. The process that was used in this piece, for one, is totally different than the process you will be using. Etching and printing a zinc plate is a very indirect process, and drawing is very direct. Secondly, the four images in Alex's piece are the same image only with different printing techniques, such as different inks and different papers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am enjoying working with the model this week. Normally, I have a hard time drawing people, but suprisingly this week it is not as hard or stressful. I really liked the quick 30 second sketches we did on Tuesday. I believe that assignment really helped my eyes and hands work together better, instead of just looking at the model, and then trying to memorize what she looked like while trying to draw her on paper. So far Drawing 2 has been a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my experience, summer classes are a good way to fulfill credits that are inconvenient to take during a full semester. They are quick, they are painful, and (again) they are quick. HOWEVER, looking back at this summer session, i feel that this class was structured in a way that allows the student serious about improving their skills to concentrate on fulfilling that goal. At first i was a bit apprehensive about taking a drawing class over the summer, since it is a subject i love and is in such a short time span. However, i have found that it has forced me to draw and draw and draw everyday, therefore, forcing me to concentrate on improving everyday. i have gained a lot from this short class. i think there is something to be gained in an intensive and demanding class.

    ReplyDelete