Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Lots-O-Snow



I hope everyone is enjoying the day off, playing in the snow. I think I'm over the shoveling though. I'm also a little bummed that we won't get to have a drawing session tonight, but that's nature. This is the kind of snowfall that inspires charcoal drawings, and so maybe you'll get out your drawing materials, pull a chair up to a window, look outside and start sketching. I played a little with photoshop to create a little "charcoal" sketch of some snow covered pines (click on images to enlarge). Enjoy.

See you on Thursday, I hope. Don't forget to bring in your reworked perspective drawings and the evaluation sheets as well. We'll get into some textural stuff then.

5 comments:

  1. I know that's not a real charcoal drawing, but it's a beautiful winter scene. Maybe I'll do a real charcoal drawing using it as inspiration. Yeah, that's it, that's what I'll do....hello?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been getting "freezing fog" in the
    mornings which left a thick layer of etched
    frost on our trees (until this new snow) I
    need to pull myself from my cocoon of
    blankets in the morning and snap some
    pictures. It is really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jennifer. You win an all expense paid trip to the Bahamas for being the first one to submit a comment! (just kidding) You should emerge from that cocoon and take a few shots of that scene, it sounds like it must be beautiful, and you never know when you might need that kind of visual information. Hope you're able to dig out for this evening's class, and bring some food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have appreciated the beauty of the snow so much this year! Maybe because it's actually 'sticking' around and not melting within a day or two. The best feeling in the world is to drive down the road and experience the clarity of everything turned to white. Really gives us a chance to change our over conditioned perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Sadie, it has been a beautiful seeing all the white around. It's especially beautiful late in the afternoon when the sun gets that warmer glow to it, making all the shadows even cooler in appearance. I can't remember the last winter when we've had this much snow sticking around for this this length of time. Wish it didn't get dark so soon in the evening so we could all sit by the windows and draw it.

    ReplyDelete