Thursday, June 17, 2010

Last Cave Hill Day

Our last day in Cave Hill was a bit frustrating for me since everyone relocated to new territory. I may have put 50 miles on the car searching and only found eight or nine of you, so those of you I could not find, I hope your day went well. Check back tomorrow for details about portfolios, sketchbooks, post-test, and any other details I can come up with.

A final thought about the past few days on a more personal, yet creative level. This year, my wife Cynthia and I endowed a scholarship for Fine Arts majors at IUS, and the first recipient was Ashley Bell, a BFA ceramics major. We set up the scholarship in memory of our daughter, Kate. Who knows, one of you could be next year's recipient.

Kate was an art and technical theater major at Millikin University. She was very creative and very talented, and enjoying a full ride scholarship. Of course, we enjoyed that too. Her boyfriend, Matt, was at the University of Illinois. The two campuses are fairly close to each other so Kate and Matt were able visit one another fairly often. They had finished their freshman years and were on a journey to Colorado for a much anticipated camping trip when we tragically lost them both. That was almost ten years ago, but as you can imagine, it is still a tough loss.

Before they left to begin their college careers, Kate took a photograph of the two of them by setting up the camera on auto-delay, and then ran and jumped into Matt's arms right as the camera took the shot. That photo, a special one to us, was used to commission the above sculpture that marks their adjacent places in Cave Hill. The words at the base are lyrics from a Dave Matthews Band song, one of their favorites.

So, while I think Cave Hill is a great resource for artists, it is also a magical place for contemplation, reflection, and ultimately appreciation. I hope it served you well on those and many other levels, especially of seeing, both physically and metaphorically, your own creative potentials.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason my post isn't appearing. I wanted to first and foremost thank you for sharing that with us Brian. I've never lost a child, but my oldest nephew was killed in an auto accident a week after his 18th birthday. So, although this wasn't my child, I do know the unexpected loss of a child in your life. They aren't supposed to die before us. Plain and simply.

    I also want to thank you for all you've done for me personally during this semester and since I've enrolled in your courses at IUS. I consider you a friend as well as a teacher and mentor.

    Personally, I feel very close to the goals I've set for myself at the start of this semester. And that's very exciting for me. Thank you for your help with that. Thank you in fact, to all my classmates, but especially to you Shawn. As always you and Brian pust me past points I think I can achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep drawing after class is over. Too many people never open a sketchbook again. Even graphic designers should keep drawing. That would be thanks enough.

    Brian, a scholarship is a perfect memorial. Kate would love the idea I'm sure. I take back all the bad things I ever mumbled about you.

    Congratulations Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, I'm sorry about your loss... Kate would be very delighted about the Fine Arts scholarship that you and your wife set up. Thank you for sharing this story and supporting Fine Arts students.

    Shawn, you're right-- even graphic designers need to keep practicing on drawing after class is over. I'm trying to make that a habit for myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a moving story, thank you for sharing your story as well as your special place at Cave Hill. This has been quite a year of ups and downs for you and your family. I hope that you are both blessed with peace in your hearts through the endowment of the scholarship in your daughter's memory. Thank you for being such a an encouraging inspiration to others.

    ReplyDelete