Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Figure

We'll be spending our final week of the summer session with the figure, so next Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday make sure you have plenty of newsprint. Given the short amount of time we have with the figure, our time will be spent exploring some of the basic vocabulary and concepts necessary to begin drawing the human form and then progress to more analytical study of proportions. Line and mass gesture will get us started.

Life drawing provides an essential foundation for all other forms of creative expression, and has been a part of our art program for a really long time. However, a course devoted to Life drawing would be the ideal, but for now we'll at least have some experience drawing the figure as a discipline and for further honing our visual skills.

6 comments:

  1. Wooooo Hooooo!! I'm so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dedicated life drawing class would be golden. I wish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out this blog I follow. He has some good gesture workshop posts. If you have never done gestures, it helps to see some created by other artists. There is no real recipe. My gestures change depending on my mood, the model, the music playing, what i have been drawing, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The actual gesture workshops... a more direct link to the gestures. You could get lost on that website, I realized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both sites were amazing Shawn...I wished I knew about them 2 years ago but oh well, I'm glad to know them now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far I think all of us are doing good with the figure getures. We are observing the model, the negative shapes around the figure and attempting gesture. Heck I know we all started rough bc we are getting back into drawing fast and I know most of us had problems with seeing and drawing but you guys are doing some good stuff so keep it up. Too bad there is not any images that are posted from the sessions ;(

    ReplyDelete