Thursday, June 9, 2011

One more time!


With the current heat and humidity, it looks as though we'll not have an outdoor outing this session, and there aren't enough windows for everyone to find a good 'window-scape' to draw, so we're going to spend one more day with light and dark values, color, gravity, shape, texture, line, and composition. Although as a prelude to our work next week with the figure, this might be a good place to start putting a little more emphasis on gesture. I can see this subject developing quickly with both line and mass gesture. We'll experiment and see what happens.

8 comments:

  1. Pictures please! Everyone has been doing awesome with fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, it was a choice I needed to make. :( I do miss the class though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I missed it, it looks weird and fun at the same time. FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did something last summer that was similar to that Danielle except no paper. I like that addition to it! We all did really well with it. You would have been wishing for more than a day with it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The paper was a great idea. Unfortunately, I was too afraid to try to tackle it in one setting. I wish that I had, in retrospect. If you're at all interested in how artists have worked with paper in their work, Gabrielle Mayer is an interesting example. I don't think that she has a website, but you can see some of her work here: http://www.trudylabellfineart.com/v2/bios/mayer.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. That reminds me of a fun still life Neil Callander set up in painting for us. The entire thing was created using white objects and white paper. It was a good lesson in seeing subtle reflected colors as values instead of using white and black.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we had more than one day to work on this still life. I think I tried to take on more than I could handle with the color paper and the contrast of the white paper in the still life. I wasn't that pleased with my piece, but I don't know if I will have time to attempt another still life before we turn in portfolios.

    ReplyDelete