Friday, May 20, 2011

Here are the images from our two day, a little into the third day, anti-gravity, tension, wrapped boxes, missiles, cones, and spheres still life. There are some pretty cool drawings here and I think everyone very much enjoyed this process.



Veronica has a very delicate touch with her pencil and built the image with a pretty unique marking system. It may present more challenge to crop into a composition that allows a closer observation.


Todd got very involved in pushing the graphite around and then erasing into the image. In fact, he may have gotten too caught up in that and never made it to the white forms. Let's try charcoal and see if things move a little faster, or crop into the subject a little tighter.


Stephanie got into charcoal with her drawing and did some abbreviating on some of the folds in the fabric. It's a pretty good range of values on the white forms, let's push to see an equal range on things that are not white.


Shawn used the prisma color stiks and got some pretty nice color layers to move the space around, nicely composed as well.

Philip used graphite here and really did some nice spatial things with the negative area by bringing in the skeleton. That drapery looks great.


Phil moved along slowly with his initial process, but once he found where he was going, the image almost appeared in one afternoon. It would be good to see the detail focus on all of the areas.

Miri painted with charcoal and created a really strong image of contrasts and movement. Beautifully composed.



Lori got into her pastels, and got the local colors of the form down and started to work in the other color shifts before the session ended. It would be good to see more of the details and the effects of colors lending to one another.

Joy used charcoal, pushing it around and then pulling it back out until the abstract elements started to take hold. Keep pushing to see the in-between value range.


Dani built her image one piece at a time. It would be good to see how the negative area might be built so that top plane could have some more drama. Nicely drawn.


Connie confessed that she never uses black...hmmmm...maybe this is the image to give it another chance. Very painterly oil pastels, but needs some darker areas.



Alex's perspective sort of denied the gravity issue creating a fabric encased totem pole. Let's see if some of the finer nuances of the subject can make it into some subsequent works.


Aberlyn move around the form in a one-step-at-a-time approach that created a very strong composition. Very Stephen Posen-esque.

15 comments:

  1. Will it be up Monday morning if I come in about 8:30? I'll break out the black...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your camera lies....my cone and sphere seem to be off by the looks of this picture, did you alter it some? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I didn't like the cones and spheres so I didn't draw them. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dani, other than some slight cropping out of the background, the cone and sphere are a bit off. With Lori as my witness, they are leaning slightly to the left by 2/16 of an inch, but who's counting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connie, it will still be up on Monday, but only until about 10:00.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I used my own skill versus using a stencil or a straight edge...who's spheres looked like eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's perfect! I need to be in French class by 10. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how everyone's drawings turned out! It was a great still life - super challenging (sometimes tiring) but incredibly interesting and engaging. I really enjoyed working with this set-up.
    Can't wait to see the results of next week's classes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like them too. I'm going to put in a bit more time tomorrow morning. I suspect this may be a portfolio drawing till it bores me. :)

    I am running into problems with my series. :'( The fabric isn't working out and I'm trying to figure out SOMETHING translucent that will work with a color medium. I'm testing wax medium on my sketchbook paper this weekend. Any suggestions anyone? The translucent is important to me because often we can see right through the thoughts and emotions of others. Also, color with the paper chain. By the way, there is a reason children make them. They are tedious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2923578/how_to_make_translucent_paper.html?cat=4 My kid found this for me! I have the best kids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've discovered I really like drawing and exploring fabric. It was one of my favorite projects last semester as well - thanks for the insight and advice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Connie, before you get too caught up in trying to find a translucent surface to work on, figure out how you're going to get the images to work on that kind of surface. Work on the front and back of a piece of acetate or mylar and see if the two images work well as one image or if it just confuses the issue. Your idea may not need that solution. Pako did a print this past semester where he waxed a piece of paper, after he printed the image on it, and then place it over another image. The two images worked very well together and the translucent surface was a very strong solution. If you're trying to explore the transparency of our thoughts and emotions, what are other possible ways to do that IF the translucent surface doesn't work in conjunction with your images. The color medium you discussed in class was oil pastels, if you're not using a vehicle such as turp or mineral spirits, the image will be opaque, and if it's opaque, then why the translucency? Reflect back on Thursday's discussion of your idea, especially when you became more passionate about the dogs. A translucent surface may not serve your idea to its maximum potential. it may just needs to be images. However, if they need to be on translucent surfaces, make the reason reasonable, make it exciting, make it provocative, make it engaging, make it edifying, make it compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Connie, a wise man once told me everything is an experiment and that some experiments are good and others are not. You have your mind set on those particular images and all you need is to start finding the surface to draw on. I am not understanding the part where translucency plays a role. What are you trying to get with this method? What is the translucency's purpose? If you feel strongly about this subject then why be transparent? If this was my series I would be the loudest, bold, brash and aggressive with this as possible. I would want the viewers to feel what I felt, to see what I see. If you go transparent then you lose that effect. I know you are set on this translucency idea but is it what you REALLY want?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would the wise man be a drawing teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Im not giving up all my secrets Connie, you will have to figure that one out. Oh btw someone hasn't updated the blog since last week...

    ReplyDelete