Friday, May 27, 2011

New Drawings Feast

Here are the rainy day drawings in lieu of the landscapes we had hope to get started on last week. Theses are pretty sweet though. It would have been good to see some get a bit more focused time, but it wasn't in the cards for us this week. And it probably won't next week either with the visiting artists coming into the studio.


Veronica's juxtaposition of the broken pot and the deep and dark red drapery is pretty dramatic. Including that cooler space creates an almost surreal quality to the image.


Todd only had about a day to work on this due to the weather standing him at home for the first day, but the start is a good one, and we're going to work on those ellipses, make them go all the way around.


Stephanie's drawing has a stage presence, and her mark-making seems to be getting stronger with the oil pastels. That might be worth more exploration.


Shawn explored one the the hidden worlds of the still life and the mysteriousness of the space starts to suggest an interesting narrative.


Philip's intuitive use of color is very strong in this image, and the layering of space and light pulls into the image nicely.


Phil moved with more confidence in this image, perhaps due to the faster sketching medium. The transparency of the large vessel works very well.


Miri's painterly approach to drawing is pretty remarkable and she maintains a sense of energy throughout the entire process and resulting image.


Lori made a positive step with this drawing. She may start getting into activating her surface with marks instead of pushing her pastels into the paper. The drapery has a good sense of volume to it.


Joy took this drawing on an interesting journey with oil pastels, mineral spirits, and then finishing with soft pastels. It also feels very painterly.


Dani also captured the mystery of two hidden spaces, the broken vase and the cool recesses of the underneath. She did this with colored pencil, so the surface markings are very much involved with cross contours and subtle textures.

Connie also had a shorted drawing session on this and started to get the forms positioned the way she wanted them. A little more time defining details would have worked well



Alex did some pretty interesting things with the grapes and the light on the small vessel. However, the vessel itself could use a bit more focus on proportion. The light on that corner almost pushes it out of the picture plane.

7 comments:

  1. The drawings look superb! I love how everyone used color. I'm particularly drawn to Miri's. Very painterly and loads of color happening in every space. So good.
    Looks like it was a great still-life!
    Brian, do you know if we'll be able to get into the studio at all this Sunday or Monday? Or will the university be closed down for the weekend? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had soo much fun with this that I would gladly do it again. I loved working on the black paper and working it in the drawing with my shadows. It was also fun to put the still life together. I think that everyone has done a nice job and I am looking forward to seeing more good work in the future. Many have used the benefits of the black paper but maybe not enough in my opinion. With any colored paper it is benefical to use the paper within your drawing rather than covering it all up. Even if it is used in the shadows or the base color of the object...use the paper in a way that gives your drawing more personality. To me when I draw on colored paper it feels more intimate than starting on a blank white paper. You have to get to know the paper on a more sensitive level, you got to think about its strengths and weaknesses. You have to approach it in a way that is cautious yet curious. I hope that I haved made sense with this little statement...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish I didn't need to miss that one day. :( I feel like I was headed in the right direction and just didn't hit the finish line. Although, I do like the way 'Steve' was going.

    I REALLY wish we had a series thread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wish more people would comment since this blog is part of their grade after all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish more would reply because they LIKE talking about art. To hell with the grade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the different approaches everyone took to working with color and the black paper is very interesting. For me personally I had to play a lot around with layering different strokes and blending. I enjoyed the still life and it was interesting to see the process of setting up the display. I think all the pieces look great, and I am looking forward to seeing how our series are progressing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, Aberlyn, I didn't check on the blog over the weekend as I was out in the woods.

    Dani, those are great comments about working on colored paper, or any kind of paper for that matter. Your statement made lots of sense.

    ReplyDelete