Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Second Day at Cave Hill

Trista found a very beautiful sculpture to draw, but she found herself moving back out of the sun as it move across the lawn.  She eventually was so far back that the sculpture seemed to tiny to see. I'll include it here if she wants some added detail.


Trista's sculpture.


Sam spent another day on the drawing he started yesterday of the lake.  After he finishes that one, he'll switch to the other side of the bridge to drawing the "Cave Hill" behind him.


Khara started a charcoal drawing of the lake and the surrounding landscape.  The warm toned paper added a summer day impression to the work even though it was a black and buff drawing.

 
Beth was working on the lake with the dam and overflow wall.  She's very meticulous with her approach and so she may be returning another time to finish up what is going pretty well.


It was a big day, everyone present, scattered throughout the cemetery, and drawing. On Thursday, if the weather cooperates, we will meet at the end of the session were we meet in the mornings to sit outside in the shade and review the first week of our landscape efforts. I'm sensing hesitation from several of you who aren't quite sure how to go about getting into the dry and oil pastels.  If you haven't reviewed the videos yet from the earlier post, it should help. Try to be a little lose with the media, more spontaneous, and think about layering for color mixes and blends.  The above pictures are from this morning's session.

9 comments:

  1. I felt less anxiety today since I knew what to expect. My drawing looked better today than yesterday though Im still not sure if I accomplished to best way to use pastels, I might switch to charcoal thurs since I know how to handle it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really enjoyed working with the oil pastels. if i would have know i liked them this much i would have bought the bigger set...if i had that kind of money that is...and i did finnish my drawing a little after 12.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today went a little better than yesterday, much like Jessica said, (knew what to expect). I'm not sure that I want my statue to be the realy focal point (I was more interested in the red bush behind it), but it was a good idea for him to take a picture of it for me. I think I'm going to come back tomorrow (wed.) and work on it a little more since I think it's going to rain on thurs. and I'm not sure what we are doing next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After a while i got use to being in the cemetary until the ducks started coming in and it threw of my focus so it was not as good a day. Even though I had trouble the first day it was bird free. I am looking foward to finishing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL And you can't feed the little buggers either! I tried tossing a broken up blueberry granola bar at three that were coming after me and next thing I knew the whole flock was decending upon me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a lot more accomplished today but the only thing that bothered me was ants kept trying to crawl up my pants and they were huge! Bugs also kept landing on my drawing. It was a little distracting but I got over it. I took pics as well so I could work on it more at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I was drawing the pond on the opposite side of the street from the bigger lake by the Administration building, I heard a noise in the my "art bin" box and when I looked at the box there was a Chipmunk in it sorting through my pencils. I love working outdoors! The ducks and geese are especially aggressive, and once you show evidence of food, they all come running.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/daughter_liberty/art/drawing/cemetery/058.jpg

    This guy was particularly aggressive. And when he was poking through my Rembrandt's I explained that if he broke them he was dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could not believe how huge this cemetery was! Im glad I got there 30 mins early b/c I got totally lost! The grounds were beautiful and it was really nice to get out of the studio:)

    ReplyDelete