Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Critiques/Portfolio

A recap of what was discussed this morning with a few extra things to think about. Everyone has signed up for an individual critique time on Monday, and then the final group critique will be Tuesday, from 9:00-12:00.  You'll be turning in your sketchbooks this Thursday, so if we're at the Falls of the Ohio again, be sure to bring your sketchbooks with you.

Final portfolios will be left in the studio after final critique. Your portfolio will contain 2 still life drawings, 2 Cave Hill drawings, 1 figure drawing, 1 or 2 Falls of the Ohio drawing(s), and your series (at least 3 drawings). Drawings in your portfolio should be leafed, that is placing a protective sheet between each drawing so as not to smear charcoals, pastels, or soft graphite. Any "spiral fuzz" needs to be trimmed off of the work and edges should be cleaned (think craftsmanship). Drawings should be presented in chronological order, first on top, last on the bottom, the series presented as one group at the very end.

A few more questions to consider about your series: Do you see jumpy or gradual changes in the series?  If jumpy, it may not feel like a series, what do you need to do to make the images more serial in resolution?  Are you familiar with artists' work that you can connect with?  What have you learned about your way of working, or even your classmates' ways of working? How has a sketchbook helped with in the series? Are the compositions, use of media, and ideas working together in a way that makes sense to you? 

9 comments:

  1. Is it a problem if only 1 of my Cave Hill drawings is finished? Do we still include the 1 that is not complete. I have the other one but was not able to get it to a finished state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,
    I was not able to come to class today (Tuesday June 16th), so I did not sign up for an individual critique time on Monday. Any time would work fine with me. Thank you, sorry if this caused any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kathy. You are singed up for a time, but I'm at home and can't remember what it was, sometime in the 10:00-10:30 range. I can let you know tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may be a silly question but where do I find this paper to put in between the drawings. Or does it matter what type of paper it is? And is there a specific number of drawings you want for the portfolio? Such as, if I only give you one Falls drawing do you want 3 instead of 2 still lifes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I turned mine in last semester I put a piece of newsprint between each drawing. Don't forget to spray them before too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am concerned about the portfolios mostly the landscapes I dont have any finished and hope to have at least one decent one after tmw. I havent ever done landscapes with pastel or charcoal before so this has all been a learning experience....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only completed one drawing from Cave Hill, and I was wondering if it would be ok to submit another landscape drawing in its place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica, you can use newsprint to leaf your drawings, but don't leave them stored with newsprint because the acid content will burn your drawings.

    Yes, Connie, and thanks for the reminder: be sure to spray your drawings after you've cleaned them up.

    Khara, one finished from Cave Hill is expected, we were there two days. Ideally, there should be one finished and one close to finish. From the Falls of the Ohio, one finished or close to finish.

    Fran, if you have one completed drawing from Cave Hill and one unfinished, that would be OK; if you only have one finished and didn't get a chance to start another, then another landscape "in its place" will work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I checked with Hobby Lobby on that paper you said to use right after class and they don't have it. Now of course I can't remember what it was called. LOL Can you post that Brian?

    I'll have to take a drive over to Preston's after I get my portfolio back.

    ReplyDelete