Monday, June 15, 2009

Falls of the Ohio, Day 1

Trista has a very interesting drawing evolving from her spot in one of the rock canyons. A view looking out over the river just as the rock ledges start to turn around the bend of the river.  She using lots of marks and textures to express the rocks, foliage, and flowing river. I'm hoping that the weather is kind to us tomorrow like it was today so she can get it finished.

 
Nate stayed up by the railroad bridge to capture the sharp perspective and the dramatic atmospheric perspective.  He also has a very good start that could use another day of looking and processing.


This crew found a user friendly spot, mostly shaded, and I manage to catch them just as the session was winding down.  Khara, Aberlyn, Jerrye, Daphne, and Sam were combining rocks, trees, river, and bridge into their drawings with some going very well.  Jerrye and Aberlyn were getting into the charcoal with pretty impressive results.


Connie perched up on the hill by the interpretive center to take in a more panoramic point of view.  She was getting into a lot more blending today and matching actual colors with what she saw.


Ashley also found a spot close to where Nate was but turned to take in the sharp diagonals of an ice storm felled tree.  Both she and Nate were also photographed by a "journalist", but not sure what publication....maybe ArtNews!


I was glad that everyone caught the change of plans from Cave Hill to the riverfront in Clarksville. From all reports at the end of the session, it was an enjoyable experience.  Most of the drawings I saw seemed to reflect that enjoyment, and it's good to see that we're starting to loosen up a bit with the landscape process.  I will probably wait until tomorrow morning to post any last minute changes, but if it's raining, or if it looks like it's going to rain, then we'll meet on campus.  June is always good for fast weather changes, and even though the precipitation forecast has a stronger percentage for tomorrow, it always best to just look out the window and see what's happening.  Anyway, good job today. 

7 comments:

  1. It has been a lot of fun doing projects outside the classroom. I have really enjoyed going to Cave Hill and the Falls of the Ohio. Both locations have beautiful sights to see. From all the photos Brian has posted it seems as if everyone has enjoyed the outdoor adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed todays landscape. Although I wasn't able to get down close to the water, I found the perfect spot to catch the downtown view of Louisville while looking through a lot of trees. This made for a very interesting composition. I hope that is doesn't rain tomorrow so that I can continue what I was doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to finish my drawing that I started today. I was getting into the trees and tree bark with charcoal.I also would love to finish detailing the rocks and the water. I found the water to be the hardest and the last thing I added today. I find it difficult with it always changing and it is hard for me to capture the energy of the movements. I am sooo hoping that tomorrow will be okay for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh i just wrote this whole thing and it didnt post wtf!?
    the gist of it was i liked the spot we picked and cant wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the falls better than cavehill. I started will oil pastels, but they are hard to blend. I still need to do some more layering, but I like the spot with the tree I picked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very rare for me to say this, but i have actually really enjoyed working with landscapes this semester. In the past, i really hated to work with landscapes, but i feel that i have loosened up enough that i can actually start to enjoy myself and learn from what i am doing. I think it makes a major difference actually going to a site that is interesting and is not the IUS pond. Both Cave Hill and The Falls have been very positive experiences. I hope to make a trip to my previous drawing spot this weekend and finish up drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope all of you can get back to the spots that inspired you to finish the work you began, the rewards are soooooo huge.

    ReplyDelete