Thursday, January 15, 2009

Concepts and Ideas (some definitions)

Concept
  • Something understood, and retained in the mind, from experience, reasoning, and/or imagination.
  • An idea; often used specifically of philosophical ideas.
  • An abstraction from observed events; e.g., liquid.
  • A general notion around which ideas are developed.
Idea
  • The content of cognition; the main thing you are thinking about.
  • Your intention; what you intended to do.
  • An idea is a form (such as a thought) formed by the consciousness (including mind) by the process of ideation.

5 comments:

  1. Lately, in my sketchbook, I've been working with the concept of what songs without lyrics (such as classical) would look like visually, since when I listen to them I see images in my head of how I interpret them anyway. Its pretty intresting because it allows me to be more creative when I am feeling uninspired and also to view music differently using mre thatn just my ears. I think that it is a good exercise to awaken or stimulate my perceptive qualaties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any pictures that you've developed from this? I would be interested to see them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I got a few, I'll try to upload them by thursday or sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that idea. I've presented a similar idea for class projects in which drawings had to be created based on a favorite paragraph from a novel or poem, narrative and descriptive passages. It always produced very engaging images and the critiques were especially interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think there is a strong connection between the visual and auditory. I find that if i have a hard time being creative or conceptualizing, i turn on my ipod and sketch. Not necessarily to capture the essence of music (which is a very interesting idea!) but to explore myself further. The type of music one responds to says a lot about that person. Furthermore, music is deep and layered like an oil painting. the opportunity to explore can lead to some interesting creative ideas

    ReplyDelete