Wednesday, January 21, 2009

MLK Jr. B-day drawings






Here are five images from the group of drawings commemorating MLK Jr's Birthday.  There were 14 images that we discussed, more so about form/content rather than some of the more formal issues (use of media and composition, or how the work is put together), although we did get into some of that if the image warranted that more critical kind of dialogue.  Form is sometimes confused with content, but there may be distinctions worth examining, especially if we look at one as the manner in which the drawing was created (Form) and the use of the art elements (line, value, shape, texture, and color) that essentially become the structure of the image.  Maybe the content has to do with narrative quality of the image, what is it saying about MLK, or how is his birthday being commemorated through the image.  In all actuality, you can't really separate form from content, unless we're looking at an image that is only about that image (a piece of paper totally blackened with charcoal). In the drawings above, how is the story conveyed? Content must be, on some level, that which is expressed through form (that manner in which the idea is expressed);  maybe not.  Is there a clear narrative in these images, and does there need to be a clear narrative?

7 comments:

  1. I think form in this context is how well the image stands alone. The content to me needs some frame of reference to get the message across. An obvious subject such as a portrait of Martin Luther needs no frame of reference. The message and subject are very clear. Susan's image of the hands and Bible above, however, stands alone as an image but the content or message could change based on perception. The artist could put it in a a variety of contexts by just simply giving it a thought provoking title. This was a great assignment for me. I think it helped me realize there are more ways to find inspiration. At the very least I will put much more thought into my drawings or even sketching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the hand drawing as well. I don't know a lot about the content aspect of drawing yet, but, it makes me feel like I could reach out and touch the hands in the drawing. It's quite well done in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When faced with an assignment like this, a lot of times people have great ideas of images that are important to them. It's how do you display these images in a manner that is cohesive and makes a good composition. If it is a stand alone image that could have other meanings, I agree with Shawn, that a great title could make your meaning clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the image of the two children. I think it was well done. Knowing that the drawing is for MLK, I understand the message, but it could also be interpreted differently. I do really like the composition, though. The value and the shading was well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the drawing of the two children. It shows the innocence of a child and that "borders" can be crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them, this would have been great to do in class. So many different themes and messages come out of drawings like this. Art is an outlet for many things. Great job on all 5!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The picture of the hand on the bible reminded me of what we were able to watch when President Obama was sworn into office.

    ReplyDelete